My greek feet

Being different hasn't really bothered me a lot when I was growing up. I've learned to handle my feelings of insecurities and turn it into uniqueness. Or probably, I just became indifferent, snobbish and nonchalant. That's for the jury to decide. Anyway, I like being different or nonconformist. Probably, that's why I married my husband in the first place. I could be myself with him. Let's leave the issue of Sodom and Gomorrah for another day.

Back to the topic itself....where were we???? Oh, yes, nonconformity. Did you know that I do not have two similar palm lines or curves. It's amazing, actually. I don't think I ever encountered anyone with the same "features" as I have. And there's the "uniqueness" of my feet. Growing up, I thought that they were as normal as the next person's. But, alas, they are not. I have a disorder called hallux valgus or in layman's terms bunion. I remember, as a child, a cousin asked my why I had feet like an old lady's. I think I was 11 yrs old at that time. I didn't really think about it. And then when I was in my late teens my dad said, "I don't think your feet are normal." And that wasn't the last comment I heard about my feet.

This is when I wanted to conform. Aside from the pain I had, it was the embarrassment of showing my feet to the rest of the human population. I decided to have it surgically corrected. My first operation was in 2006. And in a matter of days, I will have the chance to fix my left foot. I have been going around for nearly six years with two different feet. That worstened the embarrassment as well as the pain I felt on my left foot. No one notices but I do....unfortunately.

Another thing that has been bothering me is the form of my feet. After the operation, the form of my right foot became more prominent. My second toe is longer than my hallux toe or big toe. I can't even where Crocs because my second toe just peeps out from one of the holes. Really disturbing! But, I found out that it's not as bad as I thought it was. My greek feet is quite amazing, too. Compared to the egyptian foot, there are fewer people who have greek feet. Unique? Probably. It is said that greek sculptures have greek feet and it has been seen as a standard of "nice" feet during the roman and  renaissance periods. And that royalties usually had greek feet. Even the Statue of Liberty is showing her greek foot. This is to show that being different doesn't mean that it's supposed to be heart-breaking or depressing. It's just how we look at it. We can never be perfect. I know. I am constantly plagued by my insecurities and my wishes to be the perfect person I want to be. But, it's not possible to be that perfect. It probably wouldn't make me content either. There is always something that needs improving. My greek feet tell me that there is always a silver lining. If not, it can be a conversation starter.




Kommentarer

Populära inlägg